[osis-core] RE: What is happening

Todd Tillinghast todd at contentframeworks.com
Tue Oct 12 07:26:49 MST 2004

I will quickly extend the SFM/USFM to OSIS conversion utility to process
the books after the 84 when it is clear what Bible books they are.

I think (but am still not 100% sure) that they will map to existing OSIS
Bible book names.  The organization responsible for the translation may
want to make a special identification in the header (the <work> element)
to indicate that "this" translation is based off of the LXX (or some
other base source) and may need to reference a reference system other
than the one most commonly used.

If these Bible books (between Paratext number positions 85-92) are not
the case mentioned above then we need to better understand what these
texts are and add OSIS Bible book names if they are "canonical scripture
text" in the judgment of a major Christian tradition.

If they are single chapter of an existing "standard" (Paratext number
position 1-84) then we should identify that as well and we still won't
need to add new Bible book names.

<ecanales at sbu.org>
> Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 9:53 PM
> Subject: Re: [osis-core] RE: What is happening
>

> > Guys,
> >
> > I am hopeful we can finally put both the latest version of the
schema
> and
> > the Users Manual to bed by the end of October.
> >
> > Seems like the book names is one of those issues we need to address.
> >
> > Any comments on how the book names came to be in the first place?
Chris
> > Little seems to indicate in a prior post that they are found in
Ralfs
> LXX.
> > Which is fine but that does not make it another book of Judges for
> > example.
> >
> > In other words, we don't have a name for the book of Judges in
Aramaic,
> > versus Greek, versus Hebrew, even if it is an old translation of the
> same.
> >
> > Hope everyone is having a great day!
> >
> > Patrick
> >

> > Patrick Durusau wrote:
> >> Kees,
> >>
> >> Thanks for asking Fred for the overview and thanks to Fred for
> providing
> >> it!
> >>
> >> I see what may be part of the problem, you want to make references
> >> different versions by book name? Ah, ok, that makes sense. So that
you
> >> can distinguish a reference to Judges(Vaticanus) from
Judges(otherwise)?
> >> And you want it to be a standard set of names?
> >>
> >> BTW, you say: "The Septuagint contains two versions of Daniel. That
> >> goes for Susanna and Bel and the Dragon too."
> >>
> >> Does that mean we need three names for Daniel? (the standard one
plus
> two
> >> for the different versions in the Septuagint?)
> >>
> >> Questions:
> >>
> >> Does everyone agree that for reference purposes, we need standard
names
> >> to refer to the 8 books that Fred has listed?
> >>
> >> I think of these as versions, with the exception of Odae, which we
> would
> >> handle in the header for an OSIS encoded document, but I think he
wants
> >> to be able to construct references to particular versions of books.
> >> Normally I would say handle that in the OSIS header but these are
going
> >> to be common across all commentaries, etc.
> >>
> >> Comments/suggestions?
> >>
> >> Hope everyone is having a great day!
> >>
> >> Patrick

Tob