[osis-core] Protestant, DC, and Cathloc edition Bible book names and overlap

Patrick Durusau Patrick.Durusau at sbl-site.org
Tue May 25 08:41:08 MST 2004

> In Protestant and Interconfessional Bibles Daniel only has 12 chapters.
>
> In Catholic Bibles Daniel 13 is the same as the interconfessional
> Sussana and Daniel 14 the same as interconfessional Bel and the Dragon.
>
> It is a similar issue for Esther/AddEsth and a few other DC books that
> are separate in interconfessional editions.
>
> We have allocated OSIS Bible book names for all of the "books" that are
> separate in interconfessional editions.
>
> Question 1: What is the best practice for OSIS ids for these passages?
> 1) Only use the interconfessional OSIS Bible book id in all cases for
> consistency.
> 2) Only use the OSIS Bible book name (Daniel.13) that is used in the
> Protestant and Catholic editions (this would imply that we should
> eliminate the DC Bible book names).
> 3) Use the OSIS Bible book name (Daniel.13) when the text is combined
> with what is accepted as the Protestant text and use the DC OSIS Bible
> book name when it stands alone.
> 4) Use either or both OSIS Bible book names in all cases.
>
> Question 2: In the January meeting we touched on the issue of marking
> cross-references to DC Books with a marker, I think <seg type="x-dc">.
> A bigger question has been raised by the folks at the UBS.  Can they
> encode in a single set of files (they call a "database") a translation
> that will be rendered for Protestant, Catholic, and Interconfessional
> audiences?
>
> My opinion is by all means yes.
> I see four options:
> 1) We suggest that they mark the texts using both the DC and Catholic
> OSIS Bible book names where both apply and then render the books they
> want using the OSIS ids.  The only trick is that there would be "book
> introductions" to the DC books that would not apply in the other
> editions.  It would seem that these should be marked using something
> like <seg type="x-dc">.

I think we need to separate out the issue of how do I identify (for
processing) a portion of a work versus what does the user see after it
has been processed.

Are we all in agreement that the OSIS enumerated Bible book names cover
all of the possible portions of texts? That is, we assign a unique name
to each separable portion?

Err, yes the overlap of DC book names is a problem. Really should just
have set unique ids and what a book is composed up being left to the
user to include any number of uniquely indentified smaller chunks of
material.

Well, but we did not do that. :-(

This one looks like the best of the lot.

And yes, they can use the osisIDs to create a database of what should be
included in different versions. At least as far as the biblical text.
Could use your suggestions of <seg type="x-dc"> but using type on the
container element, say I want to have three introductions to Matthew,
one Protestant, one Catholic and one interdenominational, seems like I
should be able to do that with attribute selections.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

> 2) We suggest that the best practice is to mark with something like <seg
> type="x-dc"> and <seg type="x-interconfessional"> the entire blocks of
> text that belong to the different editions.

No.

> 3) We suggest that they create three encodings (with three different
> <identifier type="OSIS"> values).

No.

> 4) We suggest nothing and every man does what is right in his own eyes.

No.