[osis-core] Question on: General Defaulting Mechanism

Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:39:56 -0500

> Patrick,
>
> //*[@osisID] differs from //*/@osisID in that the first would be all
> elements that have an osisID attribute and the second would be all
> osisID attributes who have a parent element.
>
> Because all attributes must be a child of an element //*/@osisID is the
> same as //@osisID.
>
> The argument for //@osisID is that it is simpler while //*/@osisID is
> the same form as //GI/@osisID (//div/@osisID) and would be less
> confusing from that perspective.

Hmmm, perhaps I should use the longer form in the users manual.

Not sure why we should avoid predicates.

I was thinking of usage like:

//div[@annotantType="commentary"/@osisRef

for example.

Noting in the manual that I can address any element that has an
attribute that can have an osisWork prefix and over riding the default.

Are you thinking of something different?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick