[osis-core] lang inheritance....

Steven J. DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:19:38 -0500

Sorry I've been pretty absent on the list. But let me throw a small
wrench into the works to think about:

Writing this indexer, I'm trying to get it to track xml:lang values.
This works trivially for the normal element tree (well, after I add a
couple lines of code it will). *But* -- how, exactly, is the language
value affected by Trojan milestone elements?

Since XML defines the inheritance of xml:lang in terms of element
containment, the value doesn't inherit onto the content of a
milestone-delimited element. This is a potential problem. We could
easily state that OSIS applications are also supposed to inherit lang
through milestone-delimited elements, but I don't see any way to
specify the real meaning of that unambiguously. If you've got several
phenomena overlapping, just whose "lang" is in effect at any given
time?

The Occam's razor solution (or perhaps, less virtuously, the Gordium
knot solution), is to prohibit xml:lang on milestoned elements. Not
so bad for chapter/verse, but could be real bad for multiply nested
quotations....

Steve DeRose -- http://www.derose.net
Chair, Bible Technologies Group -- http://www.bibletechnologies.net
Email: sderose@acm.org  or  steve@derose.net