[osis-core] xml:lang

Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:59:11 -0700

Patrick,

xml:lang uses RFC 3066, so the fallback precedence (for the language
portion only) is:

ISO 639-1 (2 letter codes)
ISO 639-2 (3 letter codes)
IANA registered values
x- values

And for x- values, we decided to use x-E-[Ethnologue code] when
possible.  I've forgotten what we decided about additional LinguaList
codes for extinct/constructed languages at the last Dallas meeting--it
might have been agreed to just use x-E- for those as well since they're
an extension to the Ethnologue catalog.

So Aramaic, for example, would be "arc" (ISO 639-2).

This stuff should probably go in the manual.

--Chris