[osis-core] type on <hi>

Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:55:45 -0700

Patrick Durusau wrote:

> So, list (with normal added) would be:
>
> <xs:enumeration value="bold"/>
> <xs:enumeration value="illuminated"/>
> <xs:enumeration value="italic"/>
> <xs:enumeration value="line-through"/> (added)
> <xs:enumeration value="normal"/> (added)
> <xs:enumeration value="overline"/> (added)
> <xs:enumeration value="small-caps"/> (conformed to CSS)
> <xs:enumeration value="underline"/>

My only real complaint is with adopting CSS formatting over our own
because we then become internally inconsistent.  I presume the idea
behind this is to allow simpler stylesheets that do nothing but copy
values rather than examining them and interpreting them.  The
"illuminated" value and every x- value would break such a stylesheet.

An, admittedly much weaker, reason is that I think it suggests too
strongly that what is being marked up here is presentation of the
electronic form (i.e. how the document will be rendered from OSIS to the
reader's screen/paper).  It may be the most common case that text marked
rendering instruction.  It's an indication of source document presentation.

Much smaller nitpick, that I'm going to raise, but not lose any sleep
over:  I don't see overline as useful.  The only places I've seen
overlines drawn, e.g. in Coptic, it needs to be encoded in the text with
the overscore character.  But, better safe than sorry, so feel free to
ignore this paragraph completely.

--Chris