[osis-core] type on <hi>

Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:31:44 -0400

Steve,

Steven J. DeRose wrote:
> At 2:58 PM -0400 9/15/03, Patrick Durusau wrote:

<snip>

>> Other suggestions?
>>

> How about "flashing", "obscured-by-coffee-stain".
>
> More seriously, do we also want "normal", so you have a way to switch
> back if you're in the middle of a big italicized thing?

Yeah, probably so.

So, list (with normal added) would be:

<xs:enumeration value="bold"/>
<xs:enumeration value="illuminated"/>
<xs:enumeration value="italic"/>
<xs:enumeration value="line-through"/> (added)
<xs:enumeration value="normal"/> (added)
<xs:enumeration value="overline"/> (added)
<xs:enumeration value="small-caps"/> (conformed to CSS)
<xs:enumeration value="underline"/>

With a note in the User's Manual that "normal" is only meaningful when
used as the type value for a <hi> element inside another <hi> element.

Note that we are presuming clear text, i.e., not your
"obscured-by-coffee-stain." I started to suggest yet another value for
that but then we are not talking about the text per se, but about our
ability to read it. If we add, "unclear," no principled reason to not
add gap, certainty, etc. Probably need to note and save all of that for
mss. encoding.

Getting close to presentation but I think it adds something that people
working with texts will need before we reach mss. encoding mechanisms.

Hope you are having a great day!