[osis-core] type on <hi>

Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:24:54 -0400

--------------000803070807030801050105

> Patrick,
>
> What is overline?

See attached file, hard to do in ASCII email.

> It might be useful to add normal.  I can see a case where the source
> text is marked up so that <hi type="bold">text text text text <hi
> type="normal">normal text</hi> text text text</hi> might be natural.
> This implies that we allow nested <hi> elements.

I would agree with normal.

> It would seem useful to add lighter.

Not sure it is very meaningful.

> Problem: we are mixing types (font-style, font-variant, and
> text-decoration) into a single type.  Is this a cause of concern?

Perhaps, but recall that the W3C separated out stuff like oblique on the
theory that fonts with that presentation have oblique in their names.
Really rank stuff.

It may have also been the proliferation problem. Why use one attribute
when you can have a half a dozen or more? Bloats the standard and books
on it.

The <hi> element is recording what is seen, so the distinctions that the
W3C made for processing aren't really relevant.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick