Supplemental: Re: [osis-core] type on identifier and subject, syntax of content - The need for a prefix/naming authority

Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:36:10 -0700

Troy,

See below.

> Just a short note.
>
> And on this rare occasion I almost completely agree with Chris.  It
> seems logical to me that the identifier TYPE ought to be used to
specify
> what TYPE the identifier is.  I don't see the purpose for the prefix.
> And I REALLY don't like it FORCED on
>
> <identifier type="OSIS">lame_prefix_here:Bible.KJV.1611</identifier>
>
> I guess if we optionally wanted to allow specifying what naming
> authority the name was registered with, we could do that, BUT forcing
it
> is like forcing:
>
> internic:www.crosswire.org  EVERYWHERE and I still don't like it or
find
> it useful.

The usefulness of specifying a _naming authority_ weather as a prefix or
elsewhere is that without a _naming authority_ the meaning of the
identifier is ambiguous.

A couple of examples: (I am using "unique" in place of "OSIS" because I
think its meaning is more clear, but will use what ever the groups
decides.)
Two independent encoders could easily encode
<identifier type="unique">Bible.KJV</identifier>
one would mean The King James Version while another using Ethnologue
language codes to would mean the Kannada a language of India.  The same
is true of NIV.

Still others might encode
<identifier type="unique">Bible.en.KJV</identifier> and yet others
<identifier type="unique">Bible.1611.KJV</identifier> and others
<identifier>Bible.KJV.1611</identifier>.

Still others might encode
<identifier type="unique">Bible.KJV</identifier> to identify their
commentary on the King James Bible

The point being that without a _naming authority_ the meaning of the
identifier value is ambiguous.

IF Bible Technologies were to BE a naming authority THEN names that we
specify or conform to a structure we specify would have meaning.  In my
mind this was the original meaning of type="OSIS".

QUESTION: Are you thinking that when we say <identifier
type="OSIS">Bible.KJV</identifier> that this is an "OSIS" sanctioned
value and thus the _naming authority_ is clear?

> If it had meaning other than naming authority, like
> crosswire:Bible.KJV.1611, so you could see who published the doc, it
> might be useful.  Maybe crosswire:Bible.KJV.1611 might be way cooler
> than fba:Bible.KJV.1611.  But that's a rabbit trail down a different
> path.  If we're looking for an EXCUSE to FORCE a prefix right now,
then
> please don't use this comment for your justification.

The meaning of the prefix is not who published the work but who
allocated the name to the creator of the work.

Todd