Supplemental: Re: [osis-core] type on identifier and subject, syntax of content

Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:44:24 -0500

Chris,

The problem, as I have tried to state both in prose and on the phone is
as follows:

Troy has correctly stated to me that in an earlier version that we
priviledged type="OSIS" to have special meaning for OSIS software. OSIS
software would use that to note the unique "OSIS" name for a text and
use it to match against others.

#1 is not the the same thing as type when it is ISBN/LCCN, etc.

I really don't understand the objection based upon:

<identifier type="ISBN">3487046881</identifier>

versus

<identifier>ISBN:3487046881</identifier>

If you think those convey different information I would like to hear how
it differs?

See further responses below:

Chris Little wrote:
> I don't think I understand what purpose type serves on <identifier> if
> we're going to constrain it to be either "OSIS" or semantically vacuous.
>
> I really don't understand the purpose of the prefix proposed as part of
> the content of identifier/subject, so I'll just identify some sample
> usage and you can let me know if it makes sense or correct me if not....
>
> Take, for example, the book "The Apostolic Fathers" by JB Lightfoot.
> (You can follow along with me at catlog.loc.gov using the LCCN
> 73173713.)  I should have (IMO) the following:
>
> <identifier
> type="OSIS">private:Monograph.Lightfoot_JB.Apostolic_Fathers</identifier>
> <identifier type="LCCN">73173713</identifier>
> <identifier type="ISBN">3487046881</identifier>
> <identifier type="LCCall">BR60.A62 L5213 1973</identifier>
> <subject type="Dewey">270.1 20</identifier>
> <subject type="LCSH">Christian literature, Early.</identifier>
>
> I'm fine with the prefix in cases like my type="OSIS" identifier above.
>  There, I'm essentially identifying a work ID, and using "ccl:" to say
> that this is the work ID that _I_ claim.  This could be replaced with
> prefixes from groups who want to act as naming authorities if they
> should become established.

Sorry, I missed the use of "ccl:" in your example.

Are you saying if I have type="OSIS" I should have:

<identifier type="OSIS">ISBN:3487046881</identifier>?

That puts the type in the prefix, which for some unknown reason is not
acceptable, but looks to me to be required if type="OSIS" has taken up
the type attribute value.

That is the crux of problem.

If type were not allowed to be OSIS, that is to say we had some other
attribute, osisTextID (true/false) and type really was type, i.e.,
ISBN/LCCN/LCCall, then we would be separating out the use of OSIS on
type to mean this is my OSIS identifier, which is different from saying
this is the type of my identifier.

So, either we give up on the dual use of type to mean OSIS identifier
and type of the identifier (as in a standard type) or we have to do
something odd like has been proposed.

Either way, I think the prefix or attribute value for type, should be
enumerated, defined in a work element, or private (with or without
colon, depending on the solution).

I will type up a suggestion and see where that takes us.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick