[osis-core] type on identifier and subject, syntax of content

Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:05:18 -0500

Greetings!

Apparently my post concerning the dropping of enumerated types from
identifier and subject got lost in the flood of emails on the latest schema.

Let me make the following suggestion (subject to your comments and my
getting in contact with Steve):

Type on identifier and subject should be xs:string.

Suggested values for the type attribute on identifier and subject will
be enumerated in the users manual.

If "OSIS" is used for type on identifier, the value of the <identifier>
element, that is:

<identifier type="OSIS">The_Part_Right_Here</identifier>

then the "The_Part_Right_Here" is the identifier for the work
represented by that <work> element for purposes of identifying that work
(whether it is this work or simply a work in the header).

(Todd's general and continuing objection to this suggestion is noted.)

Now, the value to be inside the <identifier> and <subject> elements is
also unconstrained.

Note that best practices recommends that such value:
"The_Part_Right_Here" should bear a work prefix, that is to say:

Work_Prefix:The_Part_Right_Here

Where the Work_Prefix is defined in a <work> element in the header.

The Work_Prefix is not required but does allow careful users to create
OSIS documents that are self-defining in terms of their identifiers and
subjects.

This suggestion also avoids the use of the "x-" mechanism in favor of
users defining their work prefixes.

Does this get a chorus of "+1's?"

Hope everyone is having a great day!