[osis-core] xml:lang and <language>: final call

Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:25:43 -0700 (MST)

Todd & Patrick,

I'm happy with everything Patrick said.

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Todd Tillinghast wrote:

> Patrick and Chris,
>
> I am not sure about the following values:
> <xs:enumeration value="IANA"/>
> <xs:enumeration value="IETF"/>
> I think these are good, just wanted to check that these are parallel to
> all of the ISO values and not duplications.  (I am not that familiar
> with the standards, just want to make sure you two think they should be
> included.)

IETF just means RFC 3066 or whatever obsoletes it.  RFC 3066 identifies
any of: ISO 639-1, 639-2 (B or T), IANA, or 'x-' as acceptable codes.  So
codes from any of these standards would be valid IETF codes, but not
necessarily vice versa.  The IANA codes themselves are a very short list
that should really just go away since they're handled better elsewhere,
but IETF included them in the RFC, so we should keep it.

> <xs:enumeration value="LINGUIST"/> If this is not a recognized standard
> we should not include it.

It's not a standard in the sense of having been created by a traditional
standards body like ISO or IETF, but it is a recognized standard in use by
linguists.  SIL's Ethnologue codes only cover living natural languages.
The LINGUIST codes are intended as an extension to these, covering dead
languages (like Anglo-Saxon and Hittite) and constructed languages (like
Klingon and Quenya).

> <xs:enumeration value="other"/> Is there a reason that this is not
> simply covered by attribute extension?  I would rather see people use x-
> and a specific value that simply put "other" that would tell what it is
> not relative to the schema at the time of the encoding but not what it
> is.

I guess I'm okay with removing other.  I thought it was a good idea when
Patrick had it in the original list, but I guess using x- is fine too.

--Chris