[osis-core] Schema: type on language

Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:57:56 -0700 (MST)

Todd,

xml:lang is of type xs:language, which conforms to RFC 3066 by definition
(though, not necessarily in practice).  RFC 3066 is what we mean by our
IETF type.  So xml:lang essentially always has our IETF type.

This is why I would suggest we recommend in prose that all languages used
in a document have, at least, an element with type="IETF".

Now... someone should really check that whether an order or precedence is
described in RFC 3066 so that we can adopt it or describe our own to make
codes like even "alb" non-conformant (since it has a corresponding
ISO-639-1 equivalent).  I'll check into it Sunday when I'm settled in
Dallas, if no one beats me to it.

--Chris