[osis-core] paragraph break defended once again.

Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:23:40 -0600

Troy,

There is good news for you relative to the NASB.  You and/or Chris can
contact Lockman and quite possibly the translators regarding what the
intent was.  With every text I have encoded so far I have asked the
translators to explain what was meant by certain things so I could be
sure that I was not introducing error.

In the case of the NASB, I suggest you contact Lockman for a
clarification.  However in the case of many texts you will be faced with
a question of option A or option B.  If the translator is no longer
living and they did not provide any guidance you will either have to not
encode the text at all or choose what seems most reasonable.

Possibly we should add in a <note type="encoder"> for use to make notes
indicating the choice taken and the dilemma that was present.  Patrick?

If we assume that the Lockman went away 100 years ago and is unable to
give clear guidance you might be making a mistake if you DON'T encode
these line breaks as paragraphs.  Either way you _could_ be wrong.  I
have yet to see a text that simply meant line break and didn't mean
paragraph.

On a different note: All of the SFM files I have seen only mark the
start of paragraphs and never mark the end of a paragraph.  The end of
the paragraph is indicated by the staring of something else.  However it
is the intent of thousands of translators currently working around the
world (many of them typing "\p" in a text editor to indicate the start
of a paragraph) that paragraphs end when the next "\p" or "\s" (and a
few other) marker is encountered.

Todd