[osis-core] osisSubjects?

Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:00:08 -0600

Chris and Patrick,

I see your point.  Is possible to allow both mechanism by adding a value
for type that indicates that the value <subject>element is takes the
form of an osisRef and points to a subject.  This would accommodate the
cases that you are indicating but also allows for extension and uses a
mechanism we already have in place.

implementation
> (with defined values in osisSubjects).  Reasons below:
>
> 1) I think the set of possible values is pretty low.  There aren't
that
> many groups defining their own subject classification systems.
>
> 2) Symmetry with similar uses elsewhere in OSIS.  Usage of type on
> subject is very similar to usage of type on identifier (to my mind),
> which has values enumerated in osisIdentifier.
>
> 3) It requires reference to documents that don't exist and probably
> never will, in some cases because of copyright restrictions, in other
> cases because of unwieldily huge amounts of data.
>
> 4) The form of subject values is nothing like our osisIDs in form.
For
> examples, LCSH subjects include things like, "Bible--Dictionaries.", "
> Bible. English--Versions.", "Bible. N.T. Greek. 1871.", and "Bible.
> N.T.--Commentaries.".  I think, given that a full inventory of the
LCSH