[osis-core] paragraph break defended once again.

Steven J. DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:13:46 -0400

I've read through this thread, and I'm not convinced yet that there's
a real need.

If you're inserting markup to represent a paragraph "break", it seems
that you must have made the interpretive decision (justified or not)
that there is a paragraph around there *to* break. In which case,
marking that paragraph seems to me no more controversial than marking
it's "break".

I can imagine some peripheral cases where this might not hold, but I
also think I see practical problems that I think outweigh those:

* Two ways will confuse people.

* If you give people two ways, many will move toward the one that
requires less thought, even if they know there are good reasons to do
the other -- everybody's in a hurry, but I want to discourage people
from delivering a "real" text with markup they choose because they
were in a hurry. I think if we let paragraph breaks in the door,
we'll see few paragraph containers, and that practice will not
gradually go away, because it's too easy *in the moment* to do it the
less useful way.

* Those paragraphs indiicated by markers would not be processable
easily by current software. For example, you couldn't translate them
via XSLT, or associate style info with them via XSL or CSS, or
retrieve them with various markup-aware tools.  This is especially
nasty since there also won't be any error reported -- just silent
misbehavior that might get caught by a very careful proofreader
later. I think this is what lawyers call an "attractive nuisance" --
very tempting to fall into, like an unfenced swimming pool.

I could make the same argument for elminiating all the current
"break" milestones, but I don't think it would have anywhere near the
force. For example, querying based on whether two things occur in the
same page or column is way less valuable (frequent) than in the same
paragraph; and formatting that occurs merely because you're in a
column or line seems unlikely.

I think Troy has raised a really good and legitimate issue here, and
it deserves thorough discussion. At the same time, I'm not convinced
the benefits would outweigh the costs.