[osis-core] paraBreak, cite, q-continuations

Wed, 15 Oct 2003 01:04:57 -0700

Troy,

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> Chris,
>     Let me get this straight.  You are saying that you feel that Lockman
> intends Matthew 9:1 to be it's own paragraph?  One verse.
> And from your quote below, you also feel that they intend for Rev 13:1
> to be it's own paragraph?
>
>     I wholeheartedly disagree, and don't feel we can solve this by more
> traffic.  I appeal to Caesar.  (Steve, you around?)

True, in the case of Matt.9.1.  Rev.13.1 contains one entire paragraph
and the start of a second because of the way the natural topical
divisions fail to line up with chapter divisions.

I'm sorry if you disagree, but Lockman's preface material and choice of
rendering style m pretty clear.

>     Patrick, I would argue that if an entire paragraph can exist inside
> of one verse, then <p> should be allow in <verse>.  Any chance you could
> just add <p> to <verse> for me?

We already discussed this in the lead-up to 1.5.  The decision was that
if you need to break paragraphs mid-verse, the verse needs to be done
with milestones.

>     Everyone, after spending a week arguing for a practicle addition for
> a real world case that I feel is necessary, I'm very discouraged to not
> get any concessions.  We have added so many other things that go against
> the rules you all cite: we have page breaks-- why not force them to
> containers.  We have line breaks-- same argument.

Of the milestones, only "halfLine" has any linguistic meaning.  (We
might have created a halfLine element, but it seems an unnecessary
expense for something only used in certain Indic and Medieval Germanic
poetic materials.)  Page, column, screen, & line breaks are purely
orthographic & have no linguistic meaning.  Paragraphs, I hope we can
agree, have linguistic meaning as divisions.

The bigger issue is that we already have a way to mark paragraphs and we
agreed last time in Dallas that we don't want two ways of encoding a
single thing, when possible.  (I don't know why we have two ways of
marking line breaks--2nd message on that topic to follow.)

 > I'm just frustrated
> to have to spend one week on a real world problem that I can't get solved.

The problems you've cited are real, but we've suggested solutions for
all of them.

>     I don't have time to defend my practicle position any longer against
> idealisms.  Please vote and let me know if I'll need to use non-OSIS
> recognized tags to do my paragraph breaks, continuation quotes, and Old
> Testament citations.

How does making a non-conformant document help anything?  Use Lockman's
own DTD if you want to do that.

--Chris