[osis-core] Schema: type on language

Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:08:12 -0400

Chris,

Chris Little wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> Sorry I couldn't get this out before the new Schema beta.  I've been too
> busy cursing at my cell phone every time it drops my call as I work on
> the reply.  Oh for a land line...

Naughty, naughty! While I don't take my own advice, getting upset with
inanimate objects (sometimes antimate ones as well) just harms yourself.
No matter how upset I get, the phone/fax/printer/etc. just hums
blissfully away.

<snip>
> 4) However, in thinking about it, it did seem like it would advantageous
> to provide a mechanism for identifying codes that would be identical to
> the codes in xml:lang values in the document itself, which are RFC
> 3066-compliant (in theory).  So, I would recommend we also add the
> values "IETF" (for RFC 3066, or whatever supercedes it) and "IANA" (for
> IANA registered values, such as the IETF RFCs refer to).  The contents
> of <language type="IETF"> should be constrained to RFC
> 3066/xml:lang/[A-Za-z]{1,8}(\-[A-Za-z]{1,8})*, but only in prose (since
> I assume that's all that's possible if we want all other types to be
> unconstrained xs:string).
>
> Cliff's notes version:
>
> Change "LINGUIST List" to "LINGUIST".
> Add "other", "IANA", "IETF".

done and done.

> Comments/objections welcome, but I think the "IETF" value would be
> invaluable down the road.
>
>> Works for me, just wanted to check.
>>
>> Assume role is just xs:string? We don't try to enumerate?
>

> I say enumerate whenever possible.  All the values I could think of
> were: original, translation, interlinear, quotation, didactic, source &
> target.  I make no claim to those being exhaustive, but there's always x-.

OK but be aware that on date it is "eventType" since we had already used
type.

We have used osisLanguage for the enumeration of types.

Will put in the attribute name as languageUsage (does that capture what
you are looking for?), in the release later today. That will be the
union of osisLanguageUsage and the attribute extension.

Look for it in 1.9.3.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick