[osis-core] whitespace (again)

Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:31:34 +0100

Patrick,

I can't imagine any cases where you would want to say <osisText
xml:space="preserve">, because all of the text between <osisText
xml:space="preserve"> and </osisText> would need to be on a single line
in the XML document unless you intended to the line break as a part of
the text.

Based on the OSIS 1.9, BCV encoding of the KJV that I created from
Troy's OSIS 1.1 version of the text I found that the
xml:space="preserve" is best placed on the <verse> element.  That way
you can have a <chapter> element with each <verse> element on its own
line without preserving the line breaks that make the document more
readable.

Another alternative is to not have a default value of either
xml:space="preserve" or xml:space="default" expressed on any element in
our schema and just go with the default of xml:space="default" declared
by the XML specification.

This