[osis-core] whitespace (again)

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 14:46:07 -0400

Guys,

Hate to even go here but Todd suggested making the value of xml:space as
  "default" on osisTextCT.

Did not consult the spec (mis-read a book I paid for instead) and said
it would have to be preserve.

Spec reports:

> The value "default" signals that applications' default white-space processing modes are acceptable for this element; the value "preserve" indicates the intent that applications preserve all the white space. This declared intent is considered to apply to all elements within the content of the element where it is specified, unless overriden with another instance of the xml:space attribute.
>
> The root element of any document is considered to have signaled no intentions as regards application space handling, unless it provides a value for this attribute or the attribute is declared with a default value.

So, we can go with:

<attribute xml:space value="default"> in the schema, and that means that
if you don't say anything at osisTextCT, the application can do what it
likes.

On the other hand, if you put in the document,

<attribute xml:space value="preserve"> in osisTextCT, then any
application should honor that request (Todd's probably won't ;-) but
that is another story).

Is there a need to vary preservation of whitespace at the element level?

I don't see it as costing us anything and some people will probably want it.

How says anyone interested in the issue? (We need to wait for Todd to
get back online sometime Monday to have a say as well.)

Hope everyone is having a great day!