[osis-core] Schema: type on language

Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:24:58 +0100

Patrick and Chris,

It seems you guys have resolved this issue nicely.

Just so I am clear can you give an example of the syntax for each of the
different cases.

Question: How do the valid values for the xml:lang attribute correlate
with the valid values for <language>?  It seems to me that they should
be consistent.

notwithstanding.

> >>2. Language element's type attribute should equal (values as listed)
> >>
> >>ISO-639 list as: ISO-639-1, ISO-639-2
> >

> > yes
> >

> >>SIL list as: Ethonologue
> >

> > I have to take back my previous comment.  We should probably go with
> "SIL"
> > as the value.  There's a document from SIL, by Gary Simons and/or
Peter
> > Constable I'm guessing, that identifies, for example, x-SIL-ENG as
their
> > prefered form for making SIL/Ethnologue codes RFC 3066/xml:lang-
> compliant.
> > I take that to mean they prefer "SIL"--it might just be a length
issue,
> > however.
> >

> >>Linguist
> >

> > It's identified as "LINGUIST" (all caps), actually.  Or "LINGUIST
List".
> > It's just one of those LISTSERV things that has been carried further
> than
> > it really needed to be.
> >

> >>other
> >>
> >>(will just enumerate a list)
> >>
> >>3. lanuage element should have a role attribute like date
> >>
> >>Not sure I understand, not that I disagree, just don't understand
its
> >>function.
> >>
> >>Reading your suggested value:

> translation,
> source &
> >>
> >>I am still puzzled by what I would use the role function to
indicate.

> >>Can you say a little bit more about what it is that you want to do?
> >

> > If I have a work that is a translation, e.g. the Divine Comedy, I
might
> > mark something like:
> > <language type="ISO-639-1" role="original">it</language>
> > <language type="ISO-639-1" role="translation">en</language>
> >
> > Similarly, for BDB, I would identify Hebrew as role="source",
English as