[osis-core] proposal: <cite> for OT Quote in NT

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:52:19 -0700 (MST)

Troy,

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> 	I feel my same argument applies from my previous post about paragraph
> breaks:
>
> 	We have an overwhelming number of extraneous elements for various
> anomalies for commentaries, dictionaries, and many other things.  For
> the mainstream literal translation Bibles that I wish to encode, I have
> seen only a small, and consistent number of 'encoding' they have done
> with typology.  If OSIS 1.0's goal is to provide THESE publishers with
> mechanisms to encode their Bibles, I feel it would be naturally in line
> with our self-mandate, to supply these very few elements as a starting
> point.

Actually, we have no elements specific to commentaries, and we've never
handled dictionaries at all.  The only REALLY specific-use elements we
have are for Bibles: divineName and transChange.  Of those, divineName
could have been folded into name, but was deemed important/distinct
enough to warrant an element.  If it were felt that OT quotes in the NT
were also significantly distinct, I could see adding the <otPassage>
element we had back in OSIS 1.0.  I'm not really convinced it's
sufficiently distinct though.

What we DO have are a lot of specific-use type values.  Type values are
easy & painless to add.  They don't require working through all the
possibilities of elements that should go above/below them in the
hierarchy.  That's why they've been our most common way of extending the
schema to handle new cases (though certainly not a very dramatic way of
extending the schema).  This is why I suggested we solve the problem you
brought up by adding type values.

> 	However, if Chris is correct in that <cite> is used differently in
> XHTML, I agree that we should choose a different element name.  Having
> researched it inadequately, I have found a few sites that both agree and
> disagree with Chris' (and their own) conclusion:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xhtml2-20030131/mod-text.html#edef_text_cite
>
> The SPECIFICATION claims:
>
> 8.4. The cite element
>
> The cite element contains a citation or a reference to other sources.
>
> Which would suggest my proposed OSIS usage is consistent with the XHTML
> specification.  However, their examples, and the examples below, only
> show it used to mark the SOURCE of the citation, which is unfortunate.
>
> http://www.devguru.com/Technologies/xhtml/quickref/xhtml_cite.html
> http://www.zvon.org/xxl/xhtmlReference/Output/Strict/el_cite.html

"citation" can mean either a reference or the content of the reference
itself.  In the XHTML spec, I think they're using the sense synonymous
with reference.

--Chris