[osis-core] OT Quote in NT

Tue, 07 Oct 2003 12:00:45 -0700

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
>> It also sounds like you're using <q> and </q> just as stand-ins for
>> open/close quotation marks rather conceiving of them as a container
>> for a quotation itself.
>

> Actually, after re-reading this, I'm not sure I understand your
> accusation.  Rest assured I _am_ conceiving <q></q> as a container for
> whatever we define as a 'quotation itself'.  Not sure any other
> conception would be XML-friendly.  Not sure if you are accusing me of
> 'rather conceiving' this way, or posing an alternative to how you think
> I am conceiving: 'rather [than] conceiving'.  But in either case, I
> think we agree.

Sorry, I did miss a 'than' in there.

> We should be:
>
>     ...conceiving of them as a container for
>     a quotation itself.
>
> I think it is the definition of a quotation that we need to
> resolve/solidify.

Anyway, this thread seems to be going nowhere fast.  And I agree we need
to use <q> according to the plain English sense of quotation, but I
think you're imposing restrictions on it that are not part of the plain
English sense.

Above is a block quotation, clearly a quotation, but without the
criterion you seem to cite, that the quotation be marked by quotation
marks.  The subject line you chose likewise suggests that you think OT
quotations found in the NT are quotations.

I think the pertinent definitions of "quotation" from the OED are:

3b. To copy out or repeat a passage or passages from. Also, to repeat a
statement by (someone); to give (a person's name) as the authority for a
statement.

4a. To copy out or repeat (a passage, statement, etc.) from a book,
document, speech, etc., with some indication that one is giving the
words of another (unless this would otherwise be known). Also transf.,
of a composer or musical composition: to reproduce or repeat (a passage
or tune that forms part of another piece of music).

Using <q> according to the plain sense of quotation permits us to
capture all of the uses described by Kirk (though they might deserve
types additional to those I enumerated previously).

> PS.  Not to lose site, I'm still hoping for an element/mechanism apart
> from <q> to markup OT allusions found in the New Testament regularly
> marked with SMALL CAPS in modern, literal translations.

I'll sum up my position in a separate message.

--Chris