[osis-core] proposal: <cite> for OT Quote in NT

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:27:18 -0400

Troy,

I was just checking on the types for quotation and found that we have
enumerated "block" for its type. Hmmm, bad joss! Any strong feelings on
that?

The reason I ask is that there appears to be a feeling that quotations
are always accurate or correct. Whether intentional or not, I suspect a
large number of quotations in early Church history bear little
resemblance to what we would consider modern quotation practice.

If I am going to quote you or Chris or Steve, you expect me to quote
exactly what you said and hopefully with some context.

That perception of literal quoting is a largely modern view. The early
use of the KJV for example, was as a prompt and although someone might
say they were quoting the KJV, they were not all that particular about
using its exact words but used it to inform their own translation from
the original languages. Apparently (as I only have reports of this
behavior) they did not consider it odd or amiss to "quote" the KJV in
this manner. Is it still a quote? Hmmm, I would say so but it is not a
quote in the sense that I would quote someone on this list.

Perhaps the better action would be to either add an attribute to quote
or redo type to allow you to specify, if desired, some continum for the
type of quote you have in mind. Is it literal? (in the modern sense), a
Church Father's quote (probably a paraphrase), etc.

Suggestions? Comments?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick