[osis-core] proposal: <cite> for OT Quote in NT

Tue, 07 Oct 2003 14:26:40 -0700

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

>     I would like to suggest that we add, e.g. <cite
> osisRef="abednahr">text of the citation</cite>

These semantics for <cite> are different from those of the HTML element
of the same name, but operate within the same domain, inviting
confusion.  HTML <cite> marks a citation in the sense of a reference,
not the content being copied.  (I strongly dislike this proposal in
general, but could really not live with using this element name in
particular for this reason.)

>     This new element would designate to a segment of text: allusion to
> or excerpt from, and assign credit to, a source, WITHOUT the libel
> implications of, and asserting the author is claiming, a direct quotation.

Sounds like you're setting up <q> as necessarily being direct quotation
and <cite> as being possibly direct, possibly indirect.  Basically, this
just adds a layer of ambiguity.  Every <q> could be replaced by a
<cite>, but not vice versa.  The only distinction to you seems to be
that using <q> results in rendering with quotation marks--not a
distinction based on content, but on rendering.

Perhaps we've got differing concepts of what <q> stands for.  It could
stand for "quote" or "quotation".  I think you're reading it as "quote"
in the sense of "quotation marks".  I read it as either "quote" in the
sense of "quotation" or as "quotation" itself.  I really don't
understand the great importance you're putting on the presentation of
quotation marks.

>     Also, note that I have not claimed <q> and <cite> to be mutually
> exclusive for a segment of text.  I can imagine something like this:

<q> can, of course, also recurse.

--Chris