[osis-core] OT Quote in NT Proposal

Tue, 07 Oct 2003 12:02:38 -0700

Troy's position:

 > PS.  Not to lose sight, I'm still hoping for an element/mechanism
 > apart from <q> to markup OT allusions found in the New Testament
 > regularly marked with SMALL CAPS in modern, literal translations.

My (alternative) proposals:

1) Enumerate types in osisQuotes in addition to the current value,
"block".  These may include: "otPassage", "ntProphecy", "spoken",
"written", "inscription"(?), "apocrypha"(?).

In the case of the OT quoting the OT, "written" would probably be the
appropriate type for encoding Bibles that do not use distinctive markup
in such passages.

Inclusion of the "inscription" value depends on accepting proposal 2
below.  The "apocrypha" value referes to those books according to the
Protestant tradition, to the exclusion of 1En & AsMos, quoted in
Jude--including this value is important for those who maintain single
databases for both Protestant & Catholic delivery to permit the toggling
of special presentation on those <q>'s marked as type="apocrypha".

In other words, I recommend we use <q> for NT quotation of the OT.  The
osisRef attribute on <q>, as Todd pointed out, can be used identify what
is being quoted.

2) Drop (okay, deprecate) the <inscription> element.  It's just another
type of quotation and can be represented by <q type="inscription">.

3) Set <q>'s type to default to "spoken".  This is likely the most
common use of <q>.  (Todd has already raised objection to this.)

4) Clarify usage of <q> vs. <speech> in the manual.  I'm very unclear
myself on why we need <speech> and why it lacks a "who" attribute and
allows a <speaker> element.  It seems like it's appropriate for drama,
the Song of Songs, and nowhere else (because of the <speaker> element).

--Chris