[osis-core] Paragraph/verse containers

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 04 Nov 2003 07:48:55 -0700

Patrick,
	Thanks for your comment from France!  You should be out enjoying the
surrounding!

	I think the real focus is NOT contemporary translation methods.  I just
finished encoding the NASB and used verse containers.

	THE REAL DIFFERENCE IMO is the _USE_ of the encoded document.  I WILL
ALWAYS use verse containers internally in my software and BREAK
PARAGRAPHS, as it stands right now.

	The reasons:

	1) Todd is focused on rendering entire Bibles.
	2) I am focused on letting a user interact Scripture.

In my world users give me verse containers like John.1.1 or
John.1.1-John.1.9.  I have to go retrieve these containers.  Everything
is centered around these containers.

Now, as Steve and others have pointed out, there are VERY VALUABLE
applications of paragraph CONTAINERS for DIGITAL textual content
analysis, but most of my users do ANALOG textual content analysis :)
Nonetheless.  I hope to add more 'paragraph' centric search abilities
and the like.  But 99% of my processing is done on verse containers, and
even if that changes to 90% in the future, I will still remain verse
container-centric.

Just to sum up my perfect world: I would love for all Bibles to mark
paragraph containers.  Even if they did, I would still choose to use
verse containers and use milestones to mark paragraphs.

	-Troy.