[osis-core] mID vs mS and mE

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 28 May 2003 15:41:16 -0700

I know all we need is ANOTHER option, but this is also a solution for
those who want it:

<xs:simpleType name="mIDType">
   <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
     <xs:pattern value="((\p{L}|\p{N}|_)+)((\.(\p{L}|\p{N}|_)+)*)?"/>
   </xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>

<xs:simpleType name "mType">
   <xs:restriction>
      <xs:enumeration value="s"/>
      <xs:enumeration value="e"/>
   </xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>

<xs:attributeGroup name="milestoneable">
   <xs:attribute name="mID"   type="mIDType" use="optional"/>
   <xs:attribute name="mType" type="mType"   use="optional"/>
</xs:attributeGroup>

The advantages:

We can still 'match' on identical mID's with simple logic.

If anyone WANTS to, they can specify the mType="s" or mType="e".  It
also lets someone who needs them for their processing to parse the doc,
top-to-bottom and add them if they wish.

It pushed the functionality to an attribute value, like Patrick wants
(and I agree seems more sensible).

It still lets you do one check (which we lose with mS|mE): IF (tag
contains the mID attribute) THEN it is a milestone.