[osis-core] Extending the Schema

Thu, 15 May 2003 12:54:11 -0600

Patrick,

To use <xsd:redefine schemaLocation="OSISCore.1.1.1.xsd"> with
<xsd:restriction base="SimpleOrComplexType"> within an
<xsd:simpleType name="SimpleTypeName"> or <xs:complexType
name="ComplexTypeName"> statement within a schema, you must have a named
simple or complex type defined in the base schema to put in the "base"
attribute of the <restriction> element.  Currently there are very few
named simple and complex types in the osisCore.1.1.1.xsd schema because
they are defined inline (not named).

I am suggesting that we create named simple an complex types where they
are defined inline.

I was trying to extend the schema to allow for annotations.  The
behavior would be a lot like a note but a little bit different.  I also
considered the option of a container element fairly near the top that
could hold annotations that reference either content in the same
document or external documents.  In the end I created a totally new
schema that is a lot like the current schema.  I believe (am not 100%
sure) I posted some examples and did not get any response.  (It may be
that I didn't get around to posting anything.)

What