[osis-core] Question on footnote at Ruth.4.14,15

Fri, 09 May 2003 00:09:52 -0400

Todd,

Up early in the UK as well! ;-)

Todd Tillinghast wrote:

>Patrick and anyone with a suggestion,
>
>I am looking at the footnote at Ruth.4.14,15 in the CEV.
>
>There are two issues present:
>1) Inside the <catchWord> of the footnote is the need to put the
>following text <catchWord>We pray that...famous...15He will</catchWord>
>the trouble is that the 15 is the superscripted verse identifier.  I
>believe that we could use (but am not sure) <rdg> except for the fact
>that <rdg> can not be a child of <catchWord>

I don't have an electronic version (is that something we might be able
to get? promise I won't start printing copies and selling them at
airports!) but what you describe is a presentation issue is it not?
 Don't understand the suggestion of <rdg>? You don't need a link since
the <catchWord> is a form of implied linking, at least visually.

Choices:

1. Simply drop the superscripted verse identifier. The string put them
out at the right place, does the verse identifier occur inline, ah, no
break in the text? If so, I would just drop it. Bad presentation to have
been included to begin with. Any other examples like this? Is it in the
documentation for this sort of note?

2. Use seg:

<catchWord>We pray that...famous...<seg type="verse">15</seg>He will</catchWord>

Set your stylesheet to superscript it. Still sounds like an error in the original to me.

>2) The <rdg> element (assuming I understand the purpose of the <rdg>
>element) can be used for the portion "We pray that the LORD will be
>praised everywhere in Israel.  15Your grandson will." Could be encoded
>as follows.
>
><note type='translation' n='4.14,15' osisRef='Ruth.4.14-Ruth.4.15'
>osisID='Ruth.4.14.note.n'><catchWord> We pray that...famous...15He
>will</catchWord> : <rdg><verse osisID="Ruth.4.14" type="reading">We pray
>that the LORD will be praised everywhere in Israel.</verse><verse
>osisID="Ruth.4.15" type="reading">Your grandson

Yes, that is the correct usage but does the text identify the source of
the alternative reading? Not much use if all you know is that there is a
witness to the alternative but you don't know any more than that.

>The above example does not address issue #1 though.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

Hope to have some serious OSIS time this next week to get ready for the
meeting in Dallas. After Dallas I will be splitting my time between
drafting ISO standards and OSIS but we have several new people at the
SBL who will be taking some of the stuff I have to keep up with off my
hands. Not a lot but enough to give me a little more breathing room.

Hope you are having a great day!