[osis-core] Functional Requirements

Steven J. DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:50:34 -0400

At 12:09 AM -0700 6/18/03, Chris Little wrote:
>Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
>
>>So how did we do?
>>
>>http://www.sbl-site2.org/osis/04osis-requirements-20011108.html
>

>http://www.sbl-site2.org/osis/osis-requirements.html is the latest
>version--I didn't compare to see if the differences were substantive.
>

>Here are the requirements I noticed that we haven't addressed:
>
>>  Non-English OSIS Specifications
>>  OSIS 1.0 MUST provide a mechanism for the transformation of XML
>>Names in the OSIS encoding specification from English into
>>languages that can be expressed using the Unicode character set.
>
>i.e. the translation module; seems to have been forgotten--no
>objections from me.

Agreed on both counts.

>>  Conformance
>>  OSIS shall declare the requirements that must be met by a document
>>to be considered as complying with the OSIS specification.
>
>I think this is still planned, but not yet addressed, right?

I put some text on this into the doc I've been working on -- see what
you think.

>>  Metadata.2 OSIS 1.0 MUST include mechanisms for recording library
>>classification data such as Library of Congress, Dewey or other
>>publication or cataloging data.
>>  Metadata.7 OSIS 1.0 MUST provide a means of self-identification of
>>metadata based upon any standard classification schemes.
>
>Not specifically addressed.  Harry's documents converted from ThML
>use <subject subType="LCCN"> for Library of Congress Call Numbers
>and <subject subType="lcsh[1-9]"> for Library of Congress Subject
>Headings.

for us an lccn would go under identifier, and lcsh would make a fine
subject type (do we define it?)

>I would recommend adopting modified versions of these as best practices:
><identifier type="LCCN|LCCall|Dewey|ISSN|ISBN|OCoLC|OSIS"> for
>LCCN/LOC Call number/Dewey/ISSN/ISBN/OCoLC/OSIS identifiers (plus
>more if anyone knows of them).
><subject type="LCSH"> for LCSH.  (The LOC's MARC records don't give
>any distinction between different subject headings, so I assume the
>number in the CCEL versions, as in lcsh1, is unnecessary.)

sounds good to me, modulo swapping in SICI for ISSN (A SICI is an
ISSN plus extra fields that let you specify a particular issue of the
periodical, and a particular contribution within the issue (like one
article).

>  > Metadata.4 OSIS 1.0 MUST provide mechanisms to include metadata
>applying to any element.

Hmmm. Seems to me our best bet is to leave that to the annotation
mechanism we'll be working on.

>  > Metadata.5 OSIS 1.0 metadata MUST include specific mechanisms for
>addressing digital rights management and confidentiality. OSIS 1.0
>SHOULD use digital rights mechanims developed by other bodies.

Yech. I'd sooner pitch this if we can; it's such a rat-hole to dive into....

>  > Note.3 OSIS 1.0 MUST define the usage of notes as critical
>apparatus in a biblical text.

Well, we definitely failed that one. I think we should consider a
work item and WG to do true app crit markup in the future.

>  > Phrase.3 OSIS 1.0 MUST declare a reference scheme for both
>part-of-speech (POS) and LEMMA for words found in a biblical text.
>Alternative schemes MUST be allowed, but will be in addition to the
>normative OSIS reference scheme.

Kirk is working on that; obviously we didn't make 1.0, but I kind of
expected that....

>  > Reference.4 OSIS 1.0 MUST provide for both inline and out-of-line
>linking and annotation of texts.

Like the earlier metadata thing, I think this goes under annotation
mechanism, soon to need work.

>  >Reference.5 OSIS 1.0 MUST declare a mechanism for alignment of
>parallel texts.

Yech.

>Not addressed (yet).
>
>All other requirements seem to have been fulfilled.

Not bad, I'd say. The remaining items are mostly pretty big, and
we're working on gathering funding for them, and they'll make good
sense as add-on modules.

Thanks, Chris, for saving the rest of us from doing the diff against
requirements!