[osis-core] Functional Requirements

Wed, 18 Jun 2003 00:09:20 -0700

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> So how did we do?
>
> http://www.sbl-site2.org/osis/04osis-requirements-20011108.html

http://www.sbl-site2.org/osis/osis-requirements.html is the latest
version--I didn't compare to see if the differences were substantive.

Here are the requirements I noticed that we haven't addressed:

 > Non-English OSIS Specifications
 > OSIS 1.0 MUST provide a mechanism for the transformation of XML Names
in the OSIS encoding specification from English into languages that can
be expressed using the Unicode character set.

i.e. the translation module; seems to have been forgotten--no objections
from me.

 > Conformance
 > OSIS shall declare the requirements that must be met by a document to
be considered as complying with the OSIS specification.

I think this is still planned, but not yet addressed, right?

 > Metadata.2 OSIS 1.0 MUST include mechanisms for recording library
classification data such as Library of Congress, Dewey or other
publication or cataloging data.
 > Metadata.7 OSIS 1.0 MUST provide a means of self-identification of
metadata based upon any standard classification schemes.

Not specifically addressed.  Harry's documents converted from ThML use
<subject subType="LCCN"> for Library of Congress Call Numbers and
<subject subType="lcsh[1-9]"> for Library of Congress Subject Headings.

I would recommend adopting modified versions of these as best practices:
<identifier type="LCCN|LCCall|Dewey|ISSN|ISBN|OCoLC|OSIS"> for LCCN/LOC
Call number/Dewey/ISSN/ISBN/OCoLC/OSIS identifiers (plus more if anyone
knows of them).
<subject type="LCSH"> for LCSH.  (The LOC's MARC records don't give any
distinction between different subject headings, so I assume the number
in the CCEL versions, as in lcsh1, is unnecessary.)

 > Metadata.4 OSIS 1.0 MUST provide mechanisms to include metadata
applying to any element.
 > Metadata.5 OSIS 1.0 metadata MUST include specific mechanisms for
addressing digital rights management and confidentiality. OSIS 1.0
SHOULD use digital rights mechanims developed by other bodies.
 > Note.3 OSIS 1.0 MUST define the usage of notes as critical apparatus
in a biblical text.
 > Phrase.3 OSIS 1.0 MUST declare a reference scheme for both
part-of-speech (POS) and LEMMA for words found in a biblical text.
Alternative schemes MUST be allowed, but will be in addition to the
normative OSIS reference scheme.
 > Reference.4 OSIS 1.0 MUST provide for both inline and out-of-line
linking and annotation of texts.
 >Reference.5 OSIS 1.0 MUST declare a mechanism for alignment of
parallel texts.

Not addressed (yet).

All other requirements seem to have been fulfilled.

--Chris