[osis-core] <lb> element - did we make a mistake when we added it?

Tue, 10 Jun 2003 22:47:24 -0700

Todd Tillinghast wrote:

><snip>
>

>>I don't think marking linebreaks (in addition to the lines themselves)
>>in poetry is a common occurrence at all.  I've never seen it outside
>>

>of
>

>>the CEV, and I think that occurrence is arguably bad practice, though
>>it's not our place to fix the translators' mistakes.
>>

>I agree that it is a more rare case and that my perspective is
>influenced by spending time with the CEV.
>
>If it is RARE then we should consider REMOVING <lb/> and forcing the CEV
>(who may likely be the sole user of the <lb/> element) to use <milestone
>type="line"/> and admit that we were unduly influenced by a single text
>at the time of the meeting.

Well, we didn't necessarily make a mistake by adding <lb/>.  I really
think it's reasonable to switch to <lb> from <milestone type="line">,
especially if <lb> has special types associated with it.

I also think it would be sensible to state that all orthographic lines
more common than it currently is, at least outside of Bibles.

--Chris