[osis-core] <div type="date"

Thu, 5 Jun 2003 11:24:27 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Patrick Durusau wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Typing up a summary for Steve (call later today) and the OSIS call
> tomorrow of outstanding issues.
>
> Assuming I understand your proposal to cram the time into the osisID,
> does it have to correspond to the divisions in the text? In other words,
> what if I have one prayer book that had divisions: Morning, Noon,
> Evening, another that had times: 6:00 AM, 12:00 PM, 6:00 PM, would I use
> those values in both cases for the osisIDs?

Yes, I would use "Morning", "Noon", and "Evening" for the first case, and
"T06", "T12", "T18" in the seccond.

> Might be helpful if you could give examples of what you are expecting.

It occurred to me that in addition to dates themselves being hierarchical,
calendars (daily devotionals, lectionaries, etc.) tend to be hierarchical
themselves.  So what is needed as a divType may not merely be "date" but
"year", "month", "day", "hour", "subDay"? (for AM/PM, medieval
prayer hours, etc.), "minute"?, "second"?.  My only qualm with this is
that it might appear to add a lot of noise to the osisDivs list that Bible
encoders don't need to deal with.

I updated http://www.bibletechnologieswg.org/osis/docs/sme.zip with a div
hierarchy of month/day/subDay like:

.
.
.

> Assume this is a best practice? In other words, xs:string and no regex?

A best practice, yes, but with regex the same as for other osisIDs (since
it is one).

As far as the osisDivs go, I think we should add something, at least
either:
a) just "date" or
b) a hierarchical set of "year", "month", etc.

--Chris