[osis-core] <chapter> needs to be a child of <p> (and probably other elements.

Sun, 1 Jun 2003 23:54:07 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 31 May 2003, Patrick Durusau wrote:

Patrick,

> Not sure how you can tell that a paragraph is divided? I looked at the
> Logos version of the NRSV and it has a paragraph that starts with Rev.
> 12:18, has a large 13 (I assume indicating the "new chapter.") and then
> continues the paragraph to 13:4.

Hmm.  What can I say?  The CEV guys don't understand how to do poetry
linebreaks, and apparently the NRSV guys don't understand English
paragraphing.  If you read roughly 12:13-13:4 without any paragraphing
marked, you'll quickly notice the change of topic that occurs in 13:1,
when it switches from talking about a dragon to a beast.  Sometimes this
switch of topic occurs right at the 12/13 boundary.  Sometimes it occurs
in the middle of 13:1 (which usually indicates that ch 12 has only 17
verses).  The NRSV seems unique in having separated 12:18 from 13:1 but
putting it within the same paragraph, still forcing a chapter break inside
of that paragraph.  I guess they're using NA27 versification with a much
older paragraphing scheme.

> I did not load the older English
> translations off the CD onto my laptop, but looking at this one
> translation, it looks like the "other" paragraph is entirely in Chapter
> 13? (Or is this an artifact of the translation? It does have the 12:18
> you mention.) But in that case, isn't it splitting a verse and not a
> paragraph?
>
> If it is the last case, I really don't see a reason to let chapter split
> a verse. Hmmm, ugly case that would require you to either milestone the
> verse or the chapter. So what do transalations that end with 12:17 do
> with the portion that is now 12:18? Just start off Chapter 13 with no
> verse text? Not sure how that would look.

I agree, we shouldn't let chapter split a verse.  But it can split
paragraphs.  Even in the NRSV, there is a chapter end/start in
mid-paragraph, but between verses, like so:

In the NIV & NASB, the chapter break occurs mid-paragraph and the
paragraph break occurs mid-verse, like so:

Both would appear to require <chapter> inside of <p> for milestone
purposes.

--Chris