[osis-core] canonical="true"

Wed, 02 Jul 2003 14:52:32 -0400

Todd,

The canonical attribute on osisText defaults to "true." All I take that
to mean is that the text in osisText is the text that is being encoded.
That sounds dumb doesn't it? ;-)

In other words, if I were encoding a translation of Dante for example,
the material in the <lg> and <l> elements are part of the translation of
Dante and the stuff in <note> elements, is material I added.

It is a way to separate out the "main" text from anything that has been
added to it for pointing purposes.

Canonical, does not, at least to me, imply anything about the nature of
the text itself.

Does that help?

Hope you are having a great day!