[osis-core] RE: Work Issue

Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:27:05 -0700

Patrick,

> Todd,
>
> Todd Tillinghast wrote:
>
> >Partick,
> >
> >I don't think that more problems are created with the proposed
solution,
> >only problems are eliminated.
> >
> >The following seems VERY clean and straight forward.  Only values
within
> >the THIS <work>-><refSystem>->id can be used as prefixes in osisIDs,
and
> >can be used in addition to <work>->osisWork in osisRefs.
> >

> And how does this differ from simply declaring that the first
refSystem
> is the default for osisIDs and any other can be use for osisRefs?
Simply
> saying that to be the case?
>

> ><osisText osisIDWork="kjv1612">
> >	<work>
> >		lots of metadata
> >		<refSystem id="kjv1612">Bible.KJV1612</refSystem>
> >		<refSystem
> >id="hebrewRefSystemThisDoc">Bible.Hebrew</refSystem>
> >	</work>
> >	<header>
> >		<work osisWork="nrsv1988">
> >			lots of metadata
> >		</work>
> >		<work osisWork="hebrewRefSystem">
> >			no or metadata other than that of "kjv1612"
> >			<refSystem
> >id="hebrewRefSystem">Bible.Hebrew</refSystem>
> >		</work>
> >	</header>
> >		<verse osisID="kjv1612:Ps.1.1
> >hebrewRefSystem:Ps.1.2">.</verse>
> >
> >		<!-- equivalent, using the default prefix -->
> >		<verse osisID="Ps.1.1 hebrewRefSystem:Ps.1.2">.</verse>
> >

> Note this is inconsistent with your earlier statement:

Sorry, this is an error in my example, and a very bad one at that! It
should read.
<verse osisID="Ps.1.1 hebrewRefSystemThisDoc:Ps.1.2">.</verse>

> >Only values within
> >the THIS <work>-><refSystem>->id can be used as prefixes in osisIDs,
>
> Since the hebrewRefSysem:Ps.1.2 is NOT in the THIS <work> which I
assume
> is the first work element. (It would be helpful if you would identify
the
> document/elements by ID and not THIS work as I still don't have any
idea
> what that means. Note also that I think the syntax for your osisID is
> invalid in the current schema as we don't allow spaces in osisIDs.
>
> This is simply the mapping problem smuggled in under another name. If
you
> have some legitimate reason for wanting markup to do mapping, I would
like
> to hear it. So far, all I see is a breaking of the current ID syntax
for
> no appreciable gain.

Read the Pros and Cons and tell me if you disagree with them or how you
see things differently.

> I suppose in some sense it is clean and staightforward but I can't see
the
> problem to be solved. No one is going to inconsistently use two
reference
> systems for IDs in a single work. If they do, well that is just an
error.

> Sorry Todd, I keep seeing this as an attempt to put mapping into
markup
> and that is just not a viable solution. What is your objection to
putting
> it in software?

I in my view this has nothing to do with mapping but everything to do
with clearly encoding what is meant.

Todd