[osis-core] RE: Work Issue

Thu, 30 Jan 2003 20:13:59 -0500

>Partick,
>
>I don't think that more problems are created with the proposed solution,
>only problems are eliminated.
>
>The following seems VERY clean and straight forward.  Only values within
>the THIS <work>-><refSystem>->id can be used as prefixes in osisIDs, and
>can be used in addition to <work>->osisWork in osisRefs.

And how does this differ from simply declaring that the first refSystem
is the default for osisIDs and any other can be use for osisRefs? Simply
saying that to be the case?

><osisText osisIDWork="kjv1612">
>	<work>
>		lots of metadata
>		<refSystem id="kjv1612">Bible.KJV1612</refSystem>
>		<refSystem
>id="hebrewRefSystemThisDoc">Bible.Hebrew</refSystem>
>	</work>
>	<header>
>		<work osisWork="nrsv1988">
>			lots of metadata
>		</work>
>		<work osisWork="hebrewRefSystem">
>			no or metadata other than that of "kjv1612"
>			<refSystem
>id="hebrewRefSystem">Bible.Hebrew</refSystem>
>		</work>
>	</header>
>		<verse osisID="kjv1612:Ps.1.1
>hebrewRefSystem:Ps.1.2">.</verse>
>
>		<!-- equivalent, using the default prefix -->
>		<verse osisID="Ps.1.1 hebrewRefSystem:Ps.1.2">.</verse>

Note this is inconsistent with your earlier statement:

>Only values within
>the THIS <work>-><refSystem>->id can be used as prefixes in osisIDs,

Since the hebrewRefSysem:Ps.1.2 is NOT in the THIS <work> which I assume is the first work element. (It would be helpful if you would identify the document/elements by ID and not THIS work as I still don't have any idea what that means. Note also that I think the syntax for your osisID is invalid in the current schema as we don't allow spaces in osisIDs.

This is simply the mapping problem smuggled in under another name. If you have some legitimate reason for wanting markup to do mapping, I would like to hear it. So far, all I see is a breaking of the current ID syntax for no appreciable gain.

I suppose in some sense it is clean and staightforward but I can't see the problem to be solved. No one is going to inconsistently use two reference systems for IDs in a single work. If they do, well that is just an error.

Sorry Todd, I keep seeing this as an attempt to put mapping into markup and that is just not a viable solution. What is your objection to putting it in software?

I'm going to bed now. I will get up and have another go at this in the morning.