[osis-core] RE: Work Issue

Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:19:26 -0700

<snip>

> > If you believe that the prefix for identifiers in osisIDs NEED NOT
be
> > related to the THIS <work> element then this discussion would take
on a
> > different flavor related to what those other <work> elements mean.
This
> > may be where we are on different pages.
>
> Yes.  I also think this is where we differ.  The <refSystem> in THIS
> work element is ONLY to define the default reference system used in
> osisID's in this work.  It does not state ANYTHING else, including,
but
> not limitted to:
>
> this work includes ALL of this reference system
> this work DEFINES this reference system
> this work has no references outside of this reference system
> this work has no references to any other reference system
>

> It is ONLY the default.

Patrick, is where you are as well?

> 	Do you agree?  Or probably better... could you agree? :)
>
> 		-Troy.

I can go along with Troy's assignment of meaning if we can resolve what
the <work> element related to the non-default prefix used in an osisID
would mean.  (For convience I am going to call it the SECOND <work>
element.)

Because the THIS <work> element provides the meta data related to the
current document, the SECOND <work> element should not repeat those
elements.  It would seem that the SECOND <work> element should only
include a <refSystem> sub-element.  This works fine for osisIDs because
it is obvious that the THIS <work> element provides the meta-data and
that the <work> with the matching prefix/osisWork value provides the
reference system.

The trouble would be when creating a reference within the same document.
A reference using the SECOND <work> element would point to ANY document,
when in this case it would seem that it should point to any document
with the matching meta-data in the THIS <work> element.

Are we on a different page here again?  With your perspectives that a
reference using the SECOND <work> element would be exactly what it is
and have no relationship to the current document, even though the SECOND
<work> element was created for use with osisIDs.  Is this a case where
document encoders should not be stupid and would be forced to encode
things using the default reference system?

Todd