[osis-core] RE: Work Issue

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:10:24 -0700

> However, related to Patrick's post, we have defined that an osisID can
> have identifiers from more than one reference system.  When a single
> reference system is used exclusively within osisIDs, then the current
> system of using "osisWork" to identify the THIS <work> element with its
> single reference system works fine.

good.

> When more than one reference system is used, the current system forces
> the definition of two work elements to represent THIS document (one for
> each prefix used in osisIDs).  If we are going to use multiple reference
> systems within the current document we must allow multiple <refSystem>
> elements within the THIS <work> element.  But if there are multiple
> <refSystem> elements then use of the "osisWork" attribute as a prefix
> becomes ambiguous, and requires that an identifier tied to a specific
> <refSystem> element be used as the prefix that identifies not only which
> reference system but also the THIS <work> element.

> If you believe that the prefix for identifiers in osisIDs NEED NOT be
> related to the THIS <work> element then this discussion would take on a
> different flavor related to what those other <work> elements mean.  This
> may be where we are on different pages.

Yes.  I also think this is where we differ.  The <refSystem> in THIS
work element is ONLY to define the default reference system used in
osisID's in this work.  It does not state ANYTHING else, including, but
not limitted to:

this work includes ALL of this reference system
this work DEFINES this reference system
this work has no references outside of this reference system
this work has no references to any other reference system

It is ONLY the default.

	Do you agree?  Or probably better... could you agree? :)

		-Troy.