[osis-core] RE: Work Issue

Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:22:43 -0700

Patrick,

Your example a couple of things added to demonstrate the problem.

<osisText osisIDWork="kjv1612">
    <header>
        <work osisWork="kjv1612">
         lots of metadata
        </work>
        <work osisWork="nrsv1988">
         lots of metadata
        </work>
	</header>
		<verse osisID="kjv1612:Ps.1.1
hebrewRefSystem:Ps.1.2">.</verse>
</osisText>

In the osisID there are two reference systems present.  Both reference
systems are for THIS work and should be specified within the single
<work> element that describes THIS work.  With the current schema, there
is no place to define "hebrewRefSystem".

My proposal:

<osisText osisIDWork="kjv1612">
   <work>
     lots of metadata
	<refSystem id="kjv1612">Bible.KJV1612</refSystem>
	<refSystem id="hebrewRefSystem">Bible.Hebrew</refSystem>
   </work>
   <header>
        <work osisWork="nrsv1988">
         lots of metadata
        </work>
	</header>
		<verse osisID="kjv1612:Ps.1.1
hebrewRefSystem:Ps.1.2">.</verse>
</osisText>

The THIS <work> element does not need to be identified in <osisText>
because it is obvious based on its position.  The default reference
system to use in osisIDs is identified by "osisIDWork" in <osisText>.
As required, multiple reference systems are allowed within the THIS
<work> and each has an id attribute for use within osisIDs and with
osisIDWork.

If you dislike having two elements with the same name but different
structure and meaning then we can pick a different name for the special
THIS <work> element.  With a different name it could be in either inside
or outside <header>.

Note: a <reference> element could use "prefix" values from either
"osisWork" attributes of <work> elements within <header> OR "id"
attributes from <refSystem> elements within the THIS <work>.

Note: This is the remaining open issue related to <work>.  Other issues
related to the meaning of an osisRef and osisID that were resolved or
clarified in Toronto were stated in the earlier email and are not
repeated here.

Todd