[osis-core] Bible.Vul:PsLXX

Fri, 21 Feb 2003 19:53:50 -0700 (MST)

> As I understand it, different versions of the Vulgate may have Psalms
> based on the Hebrew or LXX. Thus, Bible.Vul:Ps.20 may refer to two
> different Psalms depending on what version of the Vulgate is in
> question. Needless to say, it should be able to differentiate between
> the two different versions of Psalms.
>
> Do we want to add a new book code, PsLXX say, for the LXX-based Psalms?
> Or should we have two different osisIDs, Bible.Vul and Bible.Vulxx,
> depending on the versification of the Psalms? Or is there some other way
> to differentiate?  Or am I all confused about how this works?

Again, since the Psalms, whether translated from Greek or Hebrew, have the
same referent, they should have the same ID (Ps).  In this case, it may be
simply a versification problem, to be solved however those get solved.  I
wouldn't be surprised if Jerome versified the Psalms when he translated
them from Hebrew to match his LXX translation, though.

I would suggest using a different Bible ID like Bible.Vulg (for the LXX
Psalms version) and Bible.VulgHe (for the Hebrew Psalms version).  Whether
you want to include them in the same document is up to you, but it seems
that Jerome included the Psalms from Hebrew as an appendix to his Bible.

--Chris