[osis-core] XMLSpy Question

Wed, 05 Feb 2003 13:04:55 -0500

--------------000207060908070506010407

>Patrick,
>

>>Todd,
>>
>>I don't know if anyone else is using XMLSpy but thought I would post
>>this to the list.
>>
>>I am working on the OSIS Users Manual and decided to try to use XMLSpy
>>for something other than documentation.
>>
>>OK, so I choose osis as my root (does not default to the root element
>>

>in
>

>>a schema?)
>>

>There are several possible root elements based on our schema since most
>elements are defined so they can be used by reference.

Eh? That does not sound like XML. You can treat elements as "roots" by
XPath and the like but a valid XML document still only has one container
element. In our case, it should by <osis>. If XMLSpy is reading it some
other way, it is defnitely a bug. Otherwise you could have an ambiguous
content model. Bad joss in XML circles. ;-)

>>then choose osisText, which then keeps displaying osisCorpus
>>as a possible sibling of osisText? That is not how I intrepret choice.
>>In other words,
>>

>Which view are you using to create/edit your document, the "text" view
>or the "enhanced grid" view?

Enhance view I am sure, has the elements displayed in an indented tree
sort of fashion.

>Where are you seeing "osisCorpus as a possible sibling of osisText"?

Below the element I am inserting. When I went to save, it did say having
osisCorpus was an error. ;-) So, it inserts it, then claims it is an
error. Great stuff!

>If you are looking at the "schema design" view of the actual schema then
>they can be shown as siblings within the choice branch under "osis".
>

>><osis>
>><osisText>
>></osisText>
>></osis>
>>
>>OK.
>>
>><osis>
>><osisCorpus>
>><osisText>
>></osisText>
>><osisText>
>></osisText>
>></osisCorpus>
>></osis>
>>
>>OK
>>
>>But,
>>
>><osis>
>><osisText>
>></osisText>
>><osisCorpus>
>><osisText>
>></osisText>
>><osisText>
>></osisText>
>></osisCorpus>
>></osis>
>>
>>NOT OK.
>>

>When you "validate" the documents you have above (using the green check
>button) the results with XMLSpy are consistent with the schema.  (The
>first two are valid if you add in the required <header> and <work>
>elements.  The third is not valid because you have both an osisText and
>an osisCorpus under osis.)

Yes, I was just being lazy. :-)

>>I checked the schema and it is quite clearly a choice, either osisText
>>or osisCorpus and the children of osisText are header and div in that
>>order (sequence).
>>
>>Am I missing something here?
>>
>>Patrick
>>

>Does that help any or just fog things up?

Thanks! One reason for using XMLSpy is that I doubt very many OSIS
encoders will use Emacs. Guess we need to start keeping notes on
disfunctional editing software as well!

Hope you are having a great day!

Co-Editor, ISO Reference Model for Topic Maps

--------------000207060908070506010407

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Todd,<br>
Todd Tillinghast wrote:<br>
 cite="mid000601c2cd38$2862a010$8100a8c0@halogenlight">
  <pre wrap="">Patrick,

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Todd,

I don't know if anyone else is using XMLSpy but thought I would post
this to the list.

I am working on the OSIS Users Manual and decided to try to use XMLSpy
for something other than documentation.

OK, so I choose osis as my root (does not default to the root element
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->in
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">a schema?)
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
There are several possible root elements based on our schema since most
elements are defined so they can be used by reference.
  </pre>
Eh? That does not sound like XML. You can treat elements as "roots" by XPath
and the like but a valid XML document still only has one container element.
In our case, it should by &lt;osis&gt;. If XMLSpy is reading it some other
way, it is defnitely a bug. Otherwise you could have an ambiguous content
model. Bad joss in XML circles. ;-)<br>
 cite="mid000601c2cd38$2862a010$8100a8c0@halogenlight">
  <pre wrap="">
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">then choose osisText, which then keeps displaying osisCorpus
as a possible sibling of osisText? That is not how I intrepret choice.
In other words,
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Which view are you using to create/edit your document, the "text" view
or the "enhanced grid" view?
  </pre>
Enhance view I am sure, has the elements displayed in an indented tree sort
of fashion.<br>
 cite="mid000601c2cd38$2862a010$8100a8c0@halogenlight">
  <pre wrap="">
Where are you seeing "osisCorpus as a possible sibling of osisText"?
  </pre>
Below the element I am inserting. When I went to save, it did say having
osisCorpus was an error. ;-) So, it inserts it, then claims it is an error.
Great stuff!<br>
 cite="mid000601c2cd38$2862a010$8100a8c0@halogenlight">
  <pre wrap="">
If you are looking at the "schema design" view of the actual schema then
they can be shown as siblings within the choice branch under "osis".

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">&lt;osis&gt;
&lt;osisText&gt;
&lt;/osisText&gt;
&lt;/osis&gt;

OK.

&lt;osis&gt;
&lt;osisCorpus&gt;
&lt;osisText&gt;
&lt;/osisText&gt;
&lt;osisText&gt;
&lt;/osisText&gt;
&lt;/osisCorpus&gt;
&lt;/osis&gt;

OK

But,

&lt;osis&gt;
&lt;osisText&gt;
&lt;/osisText&gt;
&lt;osisCorpus&gt;
&lt;osisText&gt;
&lt;/osisText&gt;
&lt;osisText&gt;
&lt;/osisText&gt;
&lt;/osisCorpus&gt;
&lt;/osis&gt;

NOT OK.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
When you "validate" the documents you have above (using the green check
button) the results with XMLSpy are consistent with the schema.  (The
first two are valid if you add in the required &lt;header&gt; and &lt;work&gt;
elements.  The third is not valid because you have both an osisText and
an osisCorpus under osis.)

  </pre>
Yes, I was just being lazy. :-)<br>
 cite="mid000601c2cd38$2862a010$8100a8c0@halogenlight">
  <pre wrap="">
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">I checked the schema and it is quite clearly a choice, either osisText
or osisCorpus and the children of osisText are header and div in that
order (sequence).

Am I missing something here?

Patrick

    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Does that help any or just fog things up?
  </pre>
Thanks! One reason for using XMLSpy is that I doubt very many OSIS encoders
will use Emacs. Guess we need to start keeping notes on disfunctional editing
software as well!<br>
Hope you are having a great day!<br>
Patrick<br>