[osis-core] <hi> types

Thu, 21 Aug 2003 00:21:13 -0700

I don't think Troy's suggestion is without merit, but I think it is
sufficiently easy to implement formatting with NBSPs and spaces
interleved and with <lb/> elements rather than using
xml:whitespace="preserve".  Converting whitespace formatting to these is
the much simpler than most of the document import process.  It's not
hand encoding, it's global search & replace.  We don't need an &nbsp;
entity unless we feel like adding one, since Unicode NBSP (0xA0) can be
used.

Whitespace formatting is also going to mess up
rendering in
many cases and result it really annoying text
like this
anytime a frame is rendered to that is narrower
than the
original document's width.

It's true that adding xml:whitespace="preserve" would make importing
legacy documents easier & quicker.  But chances are that if you're so
lazy that you need whitespace formatting, your document is probably of
such poor quality as to not be usable in OSIS.  (I.e., a few global
replaces are a lot simpler than any structural markup that you were
probably also too lazy to do.)

--Chris