[osis-core] whitespace MY POSITION SUMMARY, PLEASE READ

Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:45:51 -0700

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> IN THE MOST RECENT CHINESE
> BIBLE WE JUST RELEASED, THEY PLACE 2 SPACES BEFORE THE NAME 'GOD' OUT OF
> RESPECT. (sortof like we capitalize 'God').

0x20 followed by 0xA0 can be used to encode two spaces just as well.  In
fact all sorts of whitespace can be retained in OSIS pretty easily
without any changes.  Linebreaks (some combination of \n and/or \r) can
be replaced by <lb/>.  Contiguous spaces can be encoded with 0x20
followed by 0xA0.  And tabs can be encoded with a series of interleved
0x20s and 0xA0s or just a string of 0xA0s.  Simple global replaces for
these instances would be the easiest part of bringing old documents into
an OSIS format.

> There are many grammatical uses (NOT FORMATTING) for these characters.

But these (and all of your examples that followed) ARE formatting style,
not grammar.

--Chris