[osis-core] whitespace

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Fri, 08 Aug 2003 09:59:47 -0700

Todd,
	I (surprise) disagree with you on a few points.  First, suppressing
whitespace is not equivalent to a 'higher standard of quality'.  And
second, There may be REAMS of work that I WILL NEVER go back and format
richly, but want to store as a valid OSIS document.  And Thirdly, no one
has addressed the issues that I have brought up about what CAN'T be
marked up in OSIS yet regarding whitespace.

What if I WANT to use proper grammar and have 2 spaces after my
sentences?  What if I WANT a return after something, like:

Here is my website:

http://www.crosswire.org

Or here is a conversation I had online with PDurusau last night, to quote:

"1:55 PDurusau: XML is a SILLY, and P O O R L Y   C O N T R I V E D,
mechanism for plain document markup!"

There has to be a limit as to what you are willing to strip in respect
to whitespace.  We use it all the time. and in HTML, they preserve it
with: &nbsp; and <br/>.

At the risk of forcing everyone to pollute their documents with
ill-chosen and irresponsible <p> tags to get the formatting they want, I
feel we need to address the whitespace issue.

	-Troy.