[osis-core] whitespace

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Fri, 08 Aug 2003 01:55:52 -0700

> Realizing that I probably hold the minority position, ;-), I would
> recommend normalizing as part of the application (note not the XML
> parser), all the white space in your example to single spaces.

no, no; I know of at least one other that might agree with you.

> Reasoning is that users should be using markup and stylesheets on markup
> documents to achieve meaningful presentation. That is not to say that I
> don't do the same thing in text files while I am taking notes at
> meetings, but I don't use it in markup documents I produce for meeting
> reports.

Right, but when initially converting a large document to OSIS, what is
the "OSIS entry cost"?

How do you handle stuff like double-space between sentences?
isn't an XML escape is it?

How about:

this is an example

(I was going to write an example, but decided my own email is a great
example.  I wanted a return after 'How about:'

I think there are many ways people use returns and other whitespace in
writing and I'm hesitant to say that it is acceptable to strip all
whitespace throughout the entire document.

>> (I DON'T WANT RECOMMENDATION ON HOW THIS _SHOULD_ BE MARKED UP)
>>

> My, my, has someone been offering unsolicited markup advice? :-)

No, no!  Just wanted to keep us on track with the question at hand.  I
could probably guess the appropriate way to encode the excerpt and
didn't want us to started talking about that.

> Hope you are having a great day!

Yeah, what are you doing up at 1:55am?  Probably traveling again.

	-Troy.