[osis-core] Notes that apply to multiple non-contiguous verses.

Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:59:07 -0600

I have been looking at issues related to notes in the CEV.

There are some occurrences where a note applies to more than one
non-contiguous verse.

In these cases the same superscripted letter identifier is used for of
all of the occurrences in the text, which would seem to imply that they
are in fact the same note (this coupled with the fact that the text of
the notes is identical).  I believe that Mike send all of copies of the
standard CEV.  See Gen.28.2/Gen.28.6; Gen.37.3/Gen.37.23; and
Gen.41.1/Gen.41.37 for examples.

QUESTION 1.A: Should the note be repeated for each occurrence within the
main text?  The reason to repeat the notes is based on the fact that the
"osisRef" attribute can refer to a single verse or contiguous range of
verses.  It seems wrong to repeat the same text, but also seems to be
the only way to do things with our schema.  Do you concur with the
assessment?

QUESTION 1.B: Assuming that notes that apply to non-contiguous verses
are encoded for each verse, what is the best way to indicate that they
are duplicates of the same note?  What makes sense to me is to give all
of the duplicate copies to the note the same osisID.  Does this make
sense?

QUESTION 2: Would you consider storing the "37.3,23" part of [d 37.3,23
fancy coat: Or "a coat of many colors" or "a coat with long sleeves."]
in the "n" attribute a stretch of the purpose of the attribute and/or
inappropriate because it is presentation information.  I believe this is
somewhat similar to having the "presentation" part of a <reference> as a
text child element.  The value placed in the "n" attribute could be
derived from the set of notes with the same osisID, but would be more
difficult than simply using the contents of the "n" attribute;

Example of what I think is the best way to handle notes:

<verse osisID="Gen.37.3">Jacob loved Joseph more than he did any of his
other sons, because Joseph was born after Jacob was very old. Jacob had
given Joseph a fancy coat <note type="translation" n="37.3,23"
osisRef="Gen.37.3" osisID="Gen.37.3.note.d"><catchWord>fancy
<verse osisID="Gen.37.23">When Joseph came to his brothers, they pulled
off his fancy coat <note type="translation" n="37.3,23"
osisRef="Gen.37.23" osisID="Gen.37.3.note.d"><catchWord>fancy

Do you have any concerns, suggestions, corrections, comments, or
improvements to this strategy for notes?

Todd