[osis-core] splitID

Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:15:16 -0600

> At 9/17/2002, you wrote:
> >Nathan,
> >
> >It is not necessary to have a splitID in "<q>I will announce,</q>"
> >because the element is not split.  The second quote begins in Ps.2.7
> >and does not end until the end of Ps.2.9 and is split several times
> >along the way.
>
> I guess you are saying that split only applies across element
boundaries
> and so even tho "I will announce," is clearly part of a larger quote
> that is continued elsewhere it is not part of the split.  So the split
> ID's don't tie together the semantic concept of a single quote but
> instead only show places where the markup has split a semantic
element.

> If the purpose of this quote/split markup is to automatically generate
> the punctuation for the published version of the quote I believe in
many
> cases you will have to know the full extent of the quote. In English
we
> get off a bit easy because the quotation used to surround an
> interruption looks the same as two separate quotes but I do not
believe
> this is true for all languages. If you have to punctuate interruptions
> differently then they have to be distinguished somehow as part of a
> bigger quote.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by an "interruption"?  A simple
example would be helpful.

The issue you are pointing out sounds like a presentation issue.  Even
in English renderings we will have to make sure to only put an opening
quotation mark for the first <q> of a split quote and a closing
quotation mark only for the last <q> of a split quote.  This also
subject to additional rendering rules related to quotes in English.

Todd