[osis-core] splitID

Kees F. de Blois osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 17:48:56 +0200

At 9/17/2002, you wrote:
>Nathan,
>
>It is not necessary to have a splitID in "<q>I will announce,</q>"
>because the element is not split.  The second quote begins in Ps.2.7
>and does not end until the end of Ps.2.9 and is split several times
>along the way.

I guess you are saying that split only applies across element boundaries
and so even tho "I will announce," is clearly part of a larger quote
that is continued elsewhere it is not part of the split.  So the split
ID's don't tie together the semantic concept of a single quote but
instead only show places where the markup has split a semantic element.

If the purpose of this quote/split markup is to automatically generate
the punctuation for the published version of the quote I believe in many
cases you will have to know the full extent of the quote. In English we
get off a bit easy because the quotation used to surround an
interruption looks the same as two separate quotes but I do not believe
this is true for all languages. If you have to punctuate interruptions
differently then they have to be distinguished somehow as part of a
bigger quote.

I am sorry to ask so many questions but I have not yet grasped what are
the objectives of marking these splits.
Nathan

Nathan_Miles@sil.org
United Bible Societies